–bus (Libertas, publicly owned company):
Frequent and regular bus services connect all parts of the town. Timetables can be found at every bus stop, the Dubrovnik Tourist Board information offices as well as from hotel receptions.
- ticket purchased from the bus driver = 10 HRK (you should have the exact amount ready as the driver does not give change)
- 'S' card = 8 HRK, available from kiosks, from the Libertas shop in Pile, the bus station and in Mokošica, from hotel receptions and tourist agencies.
This card is valid for one hour after the first stamp and for an unlimited number of journeys around the town.
- 'P' card = 120 HRK for 20 journeys at a price of just 6 HRK. Each time you stamp this card, it will scan the number of remaining journeys. The payment system for the magnetic card is as follows: turn the side of the card with the magnetic strip towards yourself and insert it in the machine, then take the card out of the machine. If you have a "contactless card", simply place it on the sensor.
- The ticket for the Cabrio panorama bus also entitles you to travel on all local buses on that day.
The busiest parts of Dubrovnik in terms of traffic all have taxi stands which clearly show the prices for taxi services.
When the customer enters the taxi, the taximeter should be switched on and set to the initial amount (start) of 25 HRK. If the taximeter isn't switched on, the customer isn't obliged to pay for the journey. Each additional kilometre costs 8 HRK. A maximum of 4 people may travel in the taxi. It costs 80 HRK for each hour of waiting and 2 HRK for each piece of luggage.
In the event of a complaint about payment for taxi services, it is useful if you can obtain a receipt from the driver with a valid stamp and indication of the service supplied and registration code of the vehicle.
A taxi from the port Gruž (where cruise ships dock and which is 4 km from the ancient centre of the town) to Pile, the western gates to the historic centre of the town, will cost 70 HRK by taxi whilst travelling from Pile to one of the hotels in the other parts of town will cost between 55 – 70 HRK depending on the distance.
You may also take a taxi to get a panorama view of the town and the surrounding area
(one hour costs 330 HRK). This journey normally includes a trip to "Novi most" (the New Bridge) from where you can get a view on the port of Gruž, Lapad, Rijeka Dubrovačka and the islands, then via the Adriatic Highway to get a view of the entire town as well as a visit to Mount Srđ (412 m) with its view on Dubrovnik and the surrounding area.
It is also possible to agree a whole-day or half-day price with a taxi driver for trips to the area surrounding Dubrovnik.
Radio taxi 00385 20 970, 24h
Taxi (freephone) 0800 1441
- boat to the island of Lokrum: leaves from the port (historic centre of the town) every thirty minutes during the season and arrives at Portoč Bay on the island of Lokrum. Journey takes ten minutes. Tickets bought from in front of the boat. Boat does not run in bad weather.
Boat for the Elaphiti islands of Koločep, Lopud and Šipan (Jadrolinija): leaves from the port of Gruž, timetables can be obtained from the offices of Jadrolinija in Gruž, situated directly next to the docks, or from Dubrovnik Tourist Board offices, tickets can be bought at the offices of Jadrolinija.
- boat to Mljet:
ferry (Jadrolinija) – leaves from the port of Gruž, arrives at Sobra port on Mljet, timetable and tickets can be obtained from the offices of Jadrolinija in Gruž .
hydrofoil 'Nona Ana (G&V Line agency) – during the season it runs to Sobra port on Mljet and Polače port near the Mljet National Park
To other towns in Croatia:
Airport – City connection
- ferries from Dubrovnik to Korčula, Stari grad (island of Hvar), Split, Rijeka. Information, timetable, tickets available from the offices of Jadrolinija in Gruž.
- to Bari (Italy): 'Azzurra' ferry (Azzurra Line), tickets, timetable and information available from the offices of the Elite Travel agency at the port of Gruž.
Dubrovnik airport is around 20km from the town itself.
- bus journey from the airport to the town: buses leave from the stop in front of the arrivals hall after each incoming flight
- bus journey from the town to the airport: for Croatia Airlines and Austrian Airlines, buses leave from the bus station 1,5 hours before the aeroplane is due to leave and 2 hours for all other scheduled flights.
The price of a taxi from the airport to Dubrovnik is 200 – 235 HRK depending where your hotel is located.
Radio taxi Dubrovnik +385 20 970
Taxi (freephone) 0800 1441