Animals in the baggage compartment
Animals that cannot be transported in the passenger cabin due to their size, are to be transported in the baggage compartment if certain conditions are met.
Requirements for the kennel:
- the animal must be able to stand with its head extended and must have enough space to move
- feeding and watering facilities must be available
- it must be leakproof and the floor must be covered with absorbent material
- it shall be ventilated on at least 3 sides
- it has to be solid and escape-proof
Croatia Airlines reserves the right to check
- the animal´s behaviour at the time of acceptance
- that the container meets the requirements to ensure a safe transport throughout the whole journey.
One container can hold up to:
- 3 puppies or kittens from the same litter, in an adequate transport container weighing max. 8kg each
- a maximum of 2 adult animals up to 14kg each, that are used to each other in an adequate transport container
All other types of animals are transported as cargo.
Animals are not included in the free baggage allowance and their transportation is charged depending on the size of the container (categories: medium and large) and the type of flight:
The prices of the transportation of pets being carried in a container (its size up to 80x55x55cm):
Animals being transported in the baggage compartment, in a container size up to 80x55x55cm, are considered to be medium size:
- Domestic flights: 250 HRK + PDV (25 %)
- International flights (within Europe): 100 EUR
- International flights (outside Europe): 150 EUR
The prices of the transportation of pets being carried in a container (its size up to 125x75x85cm):
Animals being transported in the baggage compartment, in a container size up to 125x75x85cm, are considered to be large size:
- Domestic flights: 300 HRK + PDV (25 %)
- International flights (within Europe): 200 EUR
- International flights (outside Europe): 300 EUR
Transportation of animals in the baggage compartment, in container size up to 125x75x85 cm is possible only in the Airbus A-319 and Airbus A-320.
Croatia Airlines does not transport animals on flights from Croatia to the UK but on flights from UK to Croatia Croatia Airlines does transport animals.
For animal transport in the baggage compartment on international flights bought on the day of departure in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina an additional charge of 10 EUR will apply.
Animals in the passenger cabin
Only cats and dogs (accompanying a passenger) can be transported in the passenger cabin, unless it is forbidden by the state where the pets are transported to and provided the Croatia Airlines rules and regulations are complied with. Passengers must collect all the information about regulations of the country they are travelling to and make sure they possess the required documents. It is necessary to make a reservation in advance and pet transport is always charged additionally.
It is allowed to accept only two animals, two dogs or two cats, on the same flight, but one dog and one cat cannot be accepted.
Animals have to be transported in a proper transporter soft bag. Only one transporter bag with one animal is allowed per passenger.
- The size of the transporter bag is limited and its dimensions cannot exceed 115 cm.
- The bottom of the bag has to be water-resistant.
- The maximum weight of the bag with the pet is 8 kg.
- The bag with the pet must be stowed on the floor under the seat in front of the passenger for the whole duration of the flight.
- Domestic flights: 150 HRK + VAT (25%)
- International flights (within Europe): 50 EUR
- International flights (outside Europe): 70 EUR
It is not possible to book this service on our website. Please contact one of our sales offices.
For animal transport in the passenger cabin on international flights bought on the day of departure in Croatia and Bosnia and Herzegovina an additional charge of 10 EUR will apply.
Offices in Croatia can charge you only in the local currency (HRK). Credit cards are accepted. Refund for Animals Charges / Fees are permitted before departure only. After departure refund is not permitted.
Regulations for short-nosed animals
Brachycepahlic animals (dogs and cats with very short nose) can not be transported in cargo holds on flights operated by Croatia Airlines. They can be accepted only in passenger cabin, provided they meet requirements (weight with the cage up to 8 kg, dimensions of the cage cannot exceed 115 cm).
The table below shows the dogs and cats breeds not acceptable in the baggage compartment:
|Dogs||Affenpinscher, Bulldog (all breeds except American Bulldog), Pug (all breeds),American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, Boston Terrier, Boxer,Brussels Griffon, Bull Mastiff, Bull Terrier, Chow Chow, English Toy Spaniel, Japanese Chin, Japanese Spaniel, Lhasa Apso, Pekinese, Pit Bull, Shar Pei, Shin Tzu, Staffordshire Bull Terrier|
|Cats||British Shorthair, Exotic Shorthair, Himalayan cat, Persian cat, Scottish Fold|
Trained service dogs (seeing eye dogs, hearing aid trained dogs, specially trained dogs to assist a person with disability, rescue dogs and search dogs):
- travel free of charge
- are accepted for transport in the passenger cabin, on a leash
A guide dog that accompanies deaf, blind or passenger with paraplegia, is accepted free of charge. It's weight and size is not restricted. The dog has to be properly harnessed, but not muzzled or caged. It does not occupy a seat, and it is not allowed to move around the cabin.
Reservations have to be made in advance. For additional information, please contact one of Croatia Airlines sales offices.
Cats and dogs travelling to Ireland
In order to transport your pet to Ireland, it must:
- have a valid EU pet passport or EU health certificate
- be microchipped
- have a valid rabies vaccination
- be administered tapeworm treatment
Please find more details here.